Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 1, 2007

What I Didn't Know

Man when I started this adoption journey I was so naive. And I work in child welfare and I'm adopted. I should have known better. But I really thought this would all start and I would get the perfect match and I'd paint a nursery and buy cute clothes and then in no time at all a wonderful little baby would be in my arms.

There are so many things I didn't know. I didn't know how much paperwork was involved... I didn't know how many people were involved, social workers, references, facilitators, etc... I didn't know how much frustration, agony, tears, and heart ache were involved... I didn't know how much money and time and energy would be spent....

But most of all I didn't know how strong I was. I didn't know I was strong enough to do this. I didn't know I could wait like this. I didn't know how supportive my friends and family would be. I didn't know how much faith I would have to put in God and how much peace I would find in prayer. I didn't know how many great people were out there that I would get to know and care about. I didn't know how much I wanted to be a mom. The lengths we go to in this journey to parenthood. I'm glad I didn't know what this would be like. I'm glad I was naive. I'm glad I'm doing this with so many other people.

6 comments:

lori shepler - said...

may i ask where you're adopting from? - we've adopted 3 from haiti so i was just wondering!

lori (http://fromourbunchtoyours.blogspot.com/)

Unknown said...

We went through all the moves and then I got pregnant and the lady closed the file straight in our face.

We wanted to give a child the chance to live in a large family...

I hope it all works out for you.

Rebecca said...

Agreed! People do ask a lot of questions when you decide you're going to adopt!

And, I feel like I was naive about the whole process as well. I don't think I realized how emotional I would be! Won't it be awesome when we're holding our babies though?!?

Sarah and Tim said...

I totally agree. No matter what you think you know about adoption, nothing compares to actually going through the process. You are strong, and quite an inspiration!

Stacie said...

You always give me chills and now I have tears in my eyes- you are amazing!

Kelli said...

I just found your blog- what a wonderful post! I so agree with you! I have just started the adoption process and already I am an emotional mess. I agree with Rebecca, it will be worth it in the end!