Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day



Happy Father's Day to all those dad's out there. Yes I called my Dad and wished him a happy day. I hope you called yours too. Since Sylas doesn't have a dad I wasn't sure what I would do with him for Father's Day. I think it's important to start making traditions now. So I thought about it quite a bit and this is what I decided.

Sylas may not have a dad but he has some really great guys in his life that love him very much. While that aren't his dad they are the closest thing he has to one. So today and each Father's Day is going to be about celebrating those men in his life. In fact I'm really moved by those men because they have just stepped up and done fatherly type things for Sylas even though they don't have too. To me that makes them all the more precious to us.

So today we spent the day with my brother Shawn. Shawn is the regular bearer of testosterone in our house. He is the toy putter together guy, the guy I call when I need a break, the one that can't wait to teach Sylas how to pee standing up, and one of the best uncles in the world. He just loves Sylas and loves me. He is super supportive and is always there for us. His wife and daughter are out of town so he spent the entire day with us. He and Sylas took a long nap together after we made him lunch and gave him his father's day present. It was a good day and I hope in the future we can celebrate his special place in our lives.

I can't let the day pass without thanking our other special men. Chris is Sylas' god father and he is just a super guy. He puts up with a lot from me. I tend to tease him and steal his lovely wife Darby away from him on occasion. He is one of the most reliable and loving men I know and Sylas is blessed to have such a great role model in his life.

Monte is my step dad. He and I have a long history together and it's been quite a bumpy road at times. We haven't always seen eye to eye and we don't always agree with one another's decisions. But hands down Monte is so incredibly supportive of me as a mom and so loving to Sylas. He calls almost every day to check on his "chunk chunk" as he calls him. And whenever he is in town he stops by to hold and play with Sylas. He also takes my car for oil changes, changes light bulbs, waters my plants, and puts together toys. So thanks for being our helper, our support, and one cool Pop!

So thanks guys for stepping up and being such a big part of Sylas' life. I know he will grow to be a better man because of your influence. We love you all!!!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

What a great way to celebrate Father's Day! Sylas is a lucky baby to have so many caring men in his life!